Building and Demolition Processes

If you have purchased a small residential or commercial property and are planning to demolish or part demolish the existing structure then below are a few pointers to consider.

Local authority permissions
• Is planning permission required for demolition
• Is a section 80 demolition notice required
• Hoarding licence may be required to enclose the site boundary
• Scaffold licence this maybe required as part of the demolition
• Access (ingress and egress) for plant and skips, If the site does not have a dropped curb in place then a cross over licence may be required

General Documentation

Condition survey
This is a survey of the surrounding area - footpaths, roads and general perimeter. This can be undertaken by yourself which is basically taking photos of the area and especially any damage areas such as cracked paving slabs. Then put the photos along with a short description to accompany the photo into a document. These will safe guard you against any unwanted claims for existing damaged areas.

Party wall award
A party wall surveyor may be required if working close to a neighbouring boundary. These will safe guard you against any unwanted claims. Any building / demolition works within 3m of the boundary or associated with a party wall may require a Party wall agreement. If you are unsure then it is always worth checking prior to commencing works.

Check that your contactor is adequately insured.

Training and experience 
Ask your contractor about the experience and training they have undertaken as an inexperienced contractor could cost you dearly in the event that they made a mistake.

Prior to a full demolition it is important that all of the services have been isolated by qualified tradesmen with an isolation certification issued for the works. If the services have to be removed completely by the service provider then start this early as it can sometimes take quite a while to arrange. If your development requires a site temporary electrical or water supply then a relocation fee maybe more cost effective.

Demolition and refurbishment Asbestos survey (see Asbestos page)
If the development is likely to require hardcore for a base or hard standing then it is quite often more cost effective to crush the bricks and concrete arising’s on site. This can sometimes save a lot of money instead of paying to remove the hardcore and then pay to import a similar material.

Temporary Works 
If the building has a basement, adjoining building or undergoing only part demolition then temporary propping and support works maybe required. This is known as Temporary Works and quite often requires an engineer’s design and calculations.